Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, September 23, 2004

It's my life...I can do what I want

"Hey. Could we do that again? I know we haven't met, but I don't want to be an ant. You know? I mean, it's like we go through life with our antennas bouncing off one another, continously on ant autopilot, with nothing really human required of us. Stop. Go. Walk here. Drive there. All action basically for survival. All communication simply to keep this ant colony buzzing along in an efficient, polite manner. "Here's your change." "Paper or plastic?' "Credit or debit?" "You want ketchup with that?" I don't want a straw. I want real human moments. I want to see you. I want you to see me. I don't want to give that up. I don't want to be ant, you know?" - Waking Life

Living in a heavily populated area such as SoCal. we encounter, maybe hundreds of people a day. Imagine going to work and think about every car you pass. The passenger staring out the window into oblivion stuck in his own internal world of thought. What is he thinking about? The meeting at work, the fight with his wife earlier that morning, the lyrics of the song on the radio, is he thinking about the politics and world events, or is he staring at the lady in the red Corvette appling her mascera watching the road only through the corner of her eye. Unaware of anything other than the tiny strands of hair poking out of her eye lids. noticing that she needs another application of Botox. Is she on her way to a casting call for the next Bachelor, Is she a real estate agent going to show a house to perspective clients, or maybe shes on her way to meet Franklin Johnson whom she only met twenty five minutes earlier in an internet dating service. The same chatroom that Frank and John, two jr high boys, were on pretending to be a 35 year old dot com Billioniar, before being called downstairs to catch the bus. wich only moments earlier was stopped at a crosswalk waiting for a little old lady on her daily walk with Fifiher little white dog that resmbles a mophead.
we are all living our lives unaware of how many people we encounter on a daily basis un aware of the consequinses of our actions. there are certain moments in time we chose to carry out a certain action that effects the rest of our life and those around us there are more than 86,000 of those moments every day and the 6billion plus people in this world also have numerous moments where consiously or uncounsously they have to make life changing desisions. It may be as small as turning right on red or waiting for the light and turning at the next block. Imagine you are running a few minutes late and decide to turn on the red as you go down the road you notice a school bus is stoped at a crosswalk and you see a lady ever so cautiously steping down off the curb with a mop on a leash. Glancing at your watch you anxiously tap every finger on the steering wheel: pinky, ring, middle, index, pinky, ring, middle, index each time the cadence becomes faster. This just makes you angrier, "come on lady" you think as you glance at your watch only to see that time has slown down and the second hand is now moving half as slow. The bus finally begins to move. And now everything is tainted with frustration every one around you now seems rude. our curent mood effects how we see everything around us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like the site, nate. and i must say, i am most impressed by your style of writing- i was so into your "blog" (glad to know what that means now) i was hoping to find it an exerpt from a current bestseller so i could read more... maybe you should go into creative writing. yep. i've just decided- it's your calling:)
-holly

2 Second Club ® said...

Great writing style.. I loved how you had the transitions from talking about one person to another.. and how it ended up back to you in the car again.. keep it up..

Anonymous said...

yes, i sure have to agree with Holly, I think creative writting is your calling! Very intriguing and vivid. You have a great blog site. =)
-Karyn